The first school was held at the home of Mrs. Bearby behind the drugstore in a tent. This subscription school was taught by Mrs. Bearby. The number of students, between three or four, vary according to sources.
A two-room frame building was constructed in about 1886 on the site where the brick Central School would be built in 1905 (4th street between Jackson and 2nd North). The right hand or south side of the building was occupied by the grade school students and the left or north side was occupied by the high school students. When the brick school was built in 1905, this two-room frame building was sold to the county and used as a court house.
Source: Groefsema, Olive. Elmore County, Its Historical Gleanings. Caldwell, Idaho: Caxton Printers, 1949.